Thursday, April 20, 2017


Sultanahmet, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'34.7"N 28°58'43.8"E / 41.009639, 28.978833

 photo caferaga_madrasa130.jpg


Caferağa Madrasah is named after the person who had the idea to build it. Cafer Ağa, acting as agha of Babüssaade (third gate of Topkapı Palace), had commissioned the chief master Mimar Sinan for the construction of the madrasah. However, he died before the construction ended and his brother Gazanfer Agha took over his mission and reposed his soul and finally, the madrasah initiated the education in 1559.

While the madrasahs compose generally one of the completing components of the Ottoman social complex around a mosque, Caferağa Madrasah found place among independent madrasahs. The original plan of the building has remained untouched for the most part. It features a single story row of rooms built around an open courtyard square with a lecture hall located at the unenclosed mouth of a U-shaped portico.

According to the list made in 1792, the number of  rooms in the madrasah were 14 and 28 people were living there. It became a shelter the people who lost their homes during the fires in 1918.


The medrese, listed within the independent medreses and having had a number of restorations until today, was transformed by the Turkish Cultural Service Foundation in 1989 into a tourist centre with 15 classrooms/exhibition rooms, a big salon and a garden where traditional Turkish handicrafts such as calligraphy, ceramics, jewelry and so forth are taught, made and sold.

The medrese is located very close to the Hagia Sophia, stairs lead down to it from the small street. The structure is entered through the main gate which leads into the inner courtyard, around which the former learning rooms are located. There is a restaurant inside that offers a variety of Turkish dishes.

The madrasah are used today both as classroom and exhibition area. In these rooms where the traditional Turkish handicraft and music courses are taught, the visitors have the opportunity to see these handicraft works and buy them, if they wish.

The workshop activities including a wide range such as Turkish marbling, calligraphy, illumination art, miniature, jewellery, adornment, ceramics, porcelain decoration, wood painting, cloth painting, hot glass painting, cold glass painting, painting, free brush and mosaics give opportunity to humans with different areas of interest to choose a suitable area for themselves.

Those who are interested with music instead of handicrafts may take part in the courses of ney, ud or guitar. Another choice is the Ottoman language. Caferağa Madrasah has been keeping its ancient soul since twenty years with the attempts of the Foundation of Service to the Turkish Culture.

The structure is entered through the main gate which leads into the inner courtyard, around which the former learning rooms are located. There is a restaurant inside that offers a variety of Turkish dishes and a cafe in its courtyard which serves a variety of snacks.

It offers a large variety of workshops on handicrafts and music, as well as hosting music and art exhibitions. Caferağa Medresesi has become a popular place for both Turkish and foreign artists to study traditional Turkish arts and all are welcome to attend the workshops. Students exhibit their works in the rooms of the Medrese and visitors are free to wander these.

Caferağa Medresesi of Foundation for Serving Turkish Culture

Marbling (Ebru), Porcelain decoration, Gilding (Tezhip), Decorative painting (wood, cloth, glass), Ribbon embroidery, Calligraphy, Ottoman Language, Ceramic, Stained glass, Miniature,
Ornament, Jewelry, Painting

Music Workshops
Reed Flute (Ney), Guitar: Satumrday, Lute (Ud)


WEB SITE : Türk Kültürüne Hizmet Vakfı

E-Mail :
Phone : +90 212 513 3601
Fax : +90 212 513 3602

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment