Sunday, April 8, 2018


Harbiye, Şişli - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°02'40.8"N 28°59'10.3"E / 41.044667, 28.986194


French Filles de la Charite nuns, who started to coming to İstanbul in 1838 initially, opened a boarding girl school in Galata. In 1856, this school was moved to the building previously, used for priests’ seminars in Saint Esprit Church. On the 27th of November in the same year, Filles de la Charite nuns left the school to the nuns of Notre Dame De Sion. The school started to accept Muslim students at the beginning of the 20th century.

The school was kept closed between 1914 and 1918 because of World War I. In 1924, the school was came under the authority of the Ministry of National Education in accordance with the Unification of Education Law.

Lycée Notre Dame de Sion Istanbul (Turkish: Notre Dame de Sion Özel Fransız Lisesi) is a French private high school located in Harbiye, Şişli neighborhood of Istanbul, Turkey. It was founded in 1856.

The high school was established in the Ottoman Empire as a missionary school for girls only. It was later transformed into a co-educational status. Education in the four grades school (ninth grade to twelfth grade) is in French and Turkish language, and takes four years after a preparatory class of one school year.

A group of eleven French nuns travelled to Istanbul arriving on October 7, 1856. They took over the administration of Maison du Saint-Esprit, a boarding school in Pangaltı neighborhood, which was named after the 1846-built Cathedral of the Holy Spirit next to it, and was run by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (French: Filles de la Charité), a society of apostolic life for women within the Catholic Church.

The official opening of the French boarding school under the name Lycée Notre Dame de Sion took place on November 27 the same year. It became the first ever girls' school in Turkey. Inıtially a boarding school for Christian girls, it shortly after attracted Jewish pupils. From 1863 on, Muslim girls attended the school following the interest of the notable families in the Empire and the approval of the Ottoman sultan.

The school closed down during World War I when the French nuns left the country as a result of the belligerent countries of France and the Ottoman Empire in the war.The building was used as an engineering school, and later served as a hospital run by nuns.


In 1919, the school reopened. With the foundation of the Turkish Republic in 1923, the school was subordinated to the Ministry of National Education, and Turkish administrators and teachers joined the school staff. It began also to serve as a day school.

The primary school section was abondaned in 1971, and the boarding school in 1972. From 1989 on, the head of the school administration was handed over to a secular rector while the nuns remain serving in the school as well. After years long tradition of girls only school, it went co-educational accepting boys with the 1996-97 school year.

NDS is a school where mutual interaction of Turkish and French cultures is achieved with a contemporary approach. With its academic program, qualified faculty and staff and emphasis on learning a second foreign language, NDS is a school that gives education in French, Turkish and English. Our graduates can communicate effectively, both in spoken and written forms, in all of these languages.

NDS constantly seeks excellence in education in a time of rapid change in modern Turkey. Our goal is always to improve ourselves and do the very best for the students. Today in order to meet the demands of the 21st century, NDS aims to graduate well-educated, creative and innovative young women and men


WEB SITE : Notre Dame De Sion French Girls School

E-Mail :
Phone : +90 212 219 1697
Fax : +90 212 231 8684

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2018, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment