Friday, April 28, 2017

AMCAZADE HÜSEYİN PASHA COMPLEX

Saraçhane, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'54.5"N 28°57'07.4"E / 41.015139, 28.952056

Amcazade Huseyin Pasha Complex / Sarachane - Fatih photo amcazade_madrasa104.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

On Macar Kardeşler Street, the Amcazade Hüseyin Pasha Complex was by Chief Architect Hüseyin Ağa. The fine complex of Amcazade Hüseyin Paşa. This is one of the most elaborate and picturesque of the smaller classical complexes. It was built by Hüseyin Paşa while he was Grand Vezir (1697-1702) under Sultan Mustafa II, and thus comes at the very end of the classical period. Hüseyin Paşa was a cousin (amcazade) of Fazıl Ahmet Paşa of the able and distinguished Köprülü family.

The complex includes an octagonal dershane or lecture hall, serving also as a mosque; a medrese, a library, a large primary school over a row of shops, two little cemeteries with open türbes, a şadırvan, a sebil and a çeşme, all arranged with an almost romantic disorder. The street façade consists first of the open walls of the small graveyards, divided by the projecting curve of the sebil. All of these have fine brass grilles, those of the türbe nearest the entrance gate being quite exceptionally beautiful specimens of seventeenth-century grillework.

Next comes the entrance gate with an Arabic inscription giving the date 1698. The çeşme just beyond it with its reservoir behind is a somewhat later addition, for its inscription records that it was a benefaction of the Şeyh-ül Islam Mustafa Efendi in 1739. Finally there is a row of four shops with an entrance between them leading to the two large rooms of the mektep on the upper floor.

On entering the courtyard, one has on the left the first of the open türbes - the one with the exceptionally handsome grilles - and then the columned portico of the mosque: this portico runs around seven of the eight sides of the mosque and frames it in a rectangle. The mosque itself is without a minaret and its primary object was clearly to serve as a lecture hall for the medrese.

It is severely simple, its dome adorned only with some rather pale stencilled designs probably later than the building itself. There are 47 tombs in the complex as various members of the family were buried in the complex after the death of Amcazade Hüseyin Pasha in 1702.

The far side of the courtyard is formed by the 17 cells of the medrese with their domed and columned portico. Occupying the main part of the right-hand side is the library building. It is in two storeys, but the lower floor serves chiefly as a water reservoir, the upper being reached by a flight of outside steps around the side and back of the building, leading to a little domed entrance porch on the first floor. The madrasah, which is quite wide, covers an area of about 2580 square meters. The madrasah is surrounded by a portico that is supported by 22 marble columns.

The medallion inscription on the front of the library records a restoration in 1755 by Hüseyin Paşa’s daughter Rahmiye Hatun after the earthquake of 1894 which ruined the complex; the manuscripts it had contained were removed and are now in the Süleymaniye library. The right-hand corner of the courtyard is occupied by the shops and the mektep above them: note the amusing little dovecotes in the form of miniature mosques on the façade overlooking the entrance gate.

A columned şadırvan stands in the middle of the courtyard. This charmingly irregular complex is made still more picturesque by the warm red of the brickwork alternating with buff-coloured limestone, by the many marble columns of the portico, and not  least by the fine old trees - cypresses, locusts and two enormous terebinths - that grow out of the open türbes and in the courtyard.

The külliye now serves as the Museum of Turkish Architectural Works and Construction Elements, including architectural and sculptural fragments, calligraphical inscriptions and old tombstones. One particularly interesting exhibit is the top of one of the minarets of Fatih Camii, toppled by the earthquake in 1894.

The monumental buildings and restoration departments of the General Directorate of Trusts undertook the restoration of the külliye, which today houses many architectural items removed from Ottoman buildings during restoration work and from ruined and demolished historic buildings.

Other items include those of historic interest formerly kept in mosques, madrasahs, tekkes and tombs, such as lecterns, candelabra, and light fittings, which were in danger of being lost or damaged in their original situations.

The museum has a rich collection of tiles, such as those from the Huand Hatun baths, decorated with human figures dating from the Seljuk era; inscribed tiles from the Beyşehir Demirli Mesjid made in the mosaic technique; Arabian tiles brought to Turkey by the achietect Kemâleddin Bey when the Kubbe’t-üs Sahra in Jerusalem was being restored; and colour glaze and mosaic tiles from buildings in Bursa and Edirne, dating from the early Ottoman period. İn a separate section are under-glazed sixteenth century tiles and blue and white seventeenth century tiles, representing the peak of Ottoman art.

In the section of stone works are many dated inscriptions and decorative items from mosques, madrasahs, tekkes, fountains and other historic buildings of which today there is no trace. These provide an invaluable guide for restorers. Nails, iron knobs, door and window locks and keys, rosettes, rivets, used for fixing blocks of stone together, and taps teli the story of the construction.

The museum has received large numbers of donated objects, which include lecterns embellished with mother-of-pearl and flowers and bearing imperial monograms; Seljuk, Memluk and Ottoman candlesticks, censers, lanterns and healing cups; and Ottoman and European glass lamps.

The museum has a fine collection of alems, the metals emblems on mosque domes and minarets. The wide range of examples are arranged in chronological order. The largest is from the minaret in Okmeydanı. Small scale sanjak alems used in tekkes include beautiful examples of decorative calligraphy.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Turkish Foundation Construction And Artworks of İstanbul

MORE INFO & CONTACT
Phone : +90 212 525 1294
Fax : +90 212 527 5851

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

SULTAN ABDÜLHAMİT I MADRASA

Bahçekapı,  Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'56.0"N 28°58'24.5"E / 41.015556, 28.973472

Sultan Abdulhamit I Madrasa / Bahcekapi - Fatih photo ticaret_borsasi109.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Sultan Abdülhamid I Complex is situated in Bahçekapı. Its construction was initiated between 1775-1776 in the period of Sultan Abdülhamid I and completed in 1789. Its architecture is Mehmed Tahir Ağa.

Sultan Abdülhamid I (1774-1789) was built in 1776-1777 by the İmaret forms a part. Sultan Abdülhamid I wanted to build a mosque, but the most populous district of the city, such as the Yeni Mosque near the great temple conduct a soup kitchen, and thought it would be better for charitable establishment has done. İmaret side of this madrasa, dispenser, drinking fountain, the library added.

The madrasah (moslem theological school) part of the Sultan Abdülmecid I complex is used as the Istanbul Commodity Exchange today. The complex is the last one build by a pasha and its construction was finished in 1780. The madrasah as a building has the distinct characteristic of being build as an independent building with a basement, unlike the previous ones, which they were always connected to a mosque.

ISTANBUL COMMODITY EXCHANGE

The establishment of the Istanbul Commodity Exchange, was envisaged for the first time in 1880. However, this establishment could not have been realized for a long time due to some problems. At that time, the foundation of a commodity exchange had been entrusted to the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce. The legal procedure was supplied with the Regulation of Commodity Exchanges in 1886.

Hence, the establishment of the commodity exchange has been retarded. That delay was probably caused by the unwillingness of merchants in Istanbul to join that kind of institution which imposes some regulations which force them to make trade by following determined procedures and tariffs. Because of all these factors and the wars occurred at the time of the events, commodity exchange could not have been established at the period of Ottoman Empire.

With the proclamation of the Republic in Turkey, the subject had come to the agenda again by the proposition of some members of Parliament in respect of Denizli. The Istanbul Cereals and Commodity Exchange has legally been established on 19 October 1924.

Because of all these factors and the wars occurred at the time of the events, commodity exchange could not have been established at the period of Ottoman Empire. With the proclamation of the Republic in Turkey, the subject had come to the agenda again by the proposition of some members of Parliament in respect of Denizli. The Istanbul Cereals and Commodity Exchange has legally been established on 19 October 1924.

Instantly, since there was not a laboratory to inspect the crops, the construction of a new building started in May 1926. Cereals, pulse and oilseeds were inspected and published on boards. The Istanbul Livestock Exchange was opened separately from the commodity exchange on 13 February 1929 although the Istanbul Commodity Exchange had been very active in its establishment.

The Istanbul Livestock Exchange which had been operating in Karaagaç, has been abolished. All documentation has been transferred to the Istanbul Commodity Exchange by October 1943.

The name of "Animal Exchange" has been changed as "The Agency of Butchery Affairs". In 1988, with the Haliç Cleaning and Redeveloppement Project, it has been decided to move this slaughterhouse to Tuzla/Aydınköy. The Istanbul Commodity Exchange Livestock Establishment was opened at Tuzla/Aydınköy on 26 January 1989.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Istanbul Commodity Exchange

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : gensek@istib.org.tr
Phone : +90 212 511 8440
Fax : +90 212 522 2677

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

CAFER PAŞA MADRASAH

Eyüp - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°02'47.6"N 28°56'05.2"E / 41.046562, 28.934779

 photo caferpasa_madrasa126.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

In the meantime, another project will work to save thousands of books that sit untouched on dusty shelves in Eyüp. The municipality's library project is aimed at bringing new life to these books, which number around 9,000 but which have long been inaccessible to local residents.

Another municipality effort is underway at the local Cafer Paşa Cultural Center atelier, where female residents of Eyüp have the opportunity to learn how to decorate ceramic tiles for free. The municipality provides all the technical assistance necessary, with an exhibition of work planned for the end of the course.

Another aspect to the project taking place at the Cafer Paşa Cultural Center is that local women use traditional handicraft arts to create children's toys. These traditional toys are made from colorful wood, pottery and plaster. This particular project is the result of a coordinated effort by the Tarih Vakfı (History Foundation) and the municipality, with a view to re-enlivening some of Turkey's cultural heritage.

According to Evliya Çelebi, an Ottoman Turkish traveler who journeyed through the territory of the Ottoman Empire and neighboring lands over a period of forty years, there were 100 shops and 105 craftsmen producing and selling toys in the historical bazaar back in the year 1635.

Toys were entirely crafted by collecting and making use of the remaining material of the factories around the Golden Horn and bought by the visitors in the region. These toys were a notable case in Turkish history, carrying characteristic values parallel to cultural recreation. This culture, with 300 years of tradition, had vanished by the end of the 20th century, surpassed by the plastic toy industry.

However there are efforts to revitalize historical toys and toy making. The project of ‘Revitalizing Eyüp Toys’ is part of a greater project conducted by the History Foundation with the cooperation of the European Union. It’s eventually oriented to Eyüp district with the interference of Eyüp Municipality.

Eyüp Toys workshop continues to work at Cafer Pasha Cultural Center associated with the Municipality. Historical Eyüp Toys Cooperative helps the development of new craftsmen and new toys being produced are offered to children through school visits, toy making and toy painting workshops with children and their parents.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Cafer Paşa Kültür Merkezi

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : kultur@eyup.bel.tr
Phone : +90 212 567 5367
Fax : +90 212 612 0020

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

SEMİZ (CEDİD) ALİ PAŞA MADRASA

Karagümrük, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°01'31.8"N 28°56'27.1"E / 41.025500, 28.940861

Semiz (Cedid) Ali Pasha Madrasa / Karagumruk - Fatih photo semizali_madrasa105.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Beyond the türbe in the main street is an attractive medrese of the classical period, which has been restored and converted into a children’s clinic. This medrese, also called Zincirli Kuyu, was founded by another Ali Paşa who was Grand Vezir in the reign of Süleyman the Magnificent. Because of his great girth he was called Semiz Ali, that is Fat Ali, or sometimes Kalın Ali, Ali the Bear. It is a work of Sinan but presents no special features except the two symmetrical entrances on either side of the dershane.

He was one of the great characters of his time and was known for his wit and conviviality as well as for his honesty, a pleasant contrast to his predecessor Rüstem Paşa. Ali Paşa was a Dalmatian by birth and had been educated in the Palace School at the Saray, later becoming in turn Ağa of the Janissaries, Beylerbeyi of Rumelia, Second Vezir, and finally Grand Vezir. Since he died in office in 1564, the medrese must have been built before that time.

Semiz Ali Paşa madrasa is an example of the structures that are independent and not being a part of a complex. The building with 16 rooms (cells) in total was completed in 1559. The cells of the madrasa are constituted on three sides around a courtyard with a rectangular plan. The entrance and the lecture building are at the same axis.

The Semiz Ali Pasha Madrasa was built independent from any other complex of buildings, by Grand Vizier Semiz Ali Pasha, who was born in Bosnia. The madrasa has lost some of its original features over the years, due to various fires, earthquakes, and restoration attempts. During the reconstruction of the nearby Fevzi Pasha Avenue, an entrance was opened up on the solid wall facing the avenue, while the main entrance along the Hasan Fehmi Pasha Avenue was closed off.

The madrasa was damaged because of the Balat fire in 1729 and the earthquake in 1894. The missing parts of the madrasa are the eaves at the façade, the fountain at the courtyard and the staircase which leaded to the entrance.

Due to re-use of the madrasa, this staircase is removed and the main entrance is closed. It was restored in 1960 and staircases leading to the basement are added.  Another entrance was opened on the new road. Also, the portico of the madrasa is fitted with glass panes. Today, this madrasa building is being used as the Bilim ve İnsan Vakfı.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



MORE INFO & CONTACT
Phone : +90 212 533 0455
Fax : +90 212 533 3920

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

KOCA SİNAN PAŞA MADRASA

Beyazit, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'31.7"N 28°58'07.3"E / 41.008806, 28.968694

Koca Sinan Pasha Madrasa / Beyazit - Fatih photo kocasinan_madrasa103.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

The building close to Atik Ali Pasha Mosque and on Yeniçeriler Street was built by Architect Davut Ağa in 1593 for Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha. The complex was constructed of cut stone, and it is regarded as one of the best works of classical Ottoman architecture. A large area of the complex was converted into a graveyard in the 18th century.

The madrasah consisted of 16 rooms on three sides of the square planned and porched courtyard. It was restored first in 1869. The hand - carved works inside the classroom remain from the 19th century. This cut stone tomb with 16 corners, which was built for Sinan Pasha, is spectacular. Moreover, the fountain’s inscription with 16 lines, gives us a great deal of information including the name of the architect and the date of the complex.

The domed classroom, used also for prayer (mescit), has a square plan extended with a northern iwan. Passing through its portico, we enter off-center into the madrasa courtyard, which is enveloped by a domed arcade on all sides.

The arcade gives access to sixteen madrasa rooms on three sides of the courtyard and has a plain wall with windows to the west. Each room is equipped with shelving niches and a furnace, and has windows looking onto the courtyard and the exterior.

An octagonal marble fountain, protected by a pitched roof raised on eight columns, occupies the center of the courtyard, which also has a well and a marble trough. The madrasa extends most of the way to Yeniçeriler Street to the south where more tombstones are placed between the madrasa and precinct walls.

Today the madrassah is used by Hizmet Vakfi, a charity publishing copies of the Qur’an as well as books related to Islam.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Hizmet Vakfı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : info@hizmetvakfi.org
Phone : +90 212 514 4444
Fax : +90 212 517 7758

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

RECAİ MEHMET EFENDİ SIBYAN MEKTEBİ

Vefa, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'56.1"N 28°57'28.4"E / 41.015583, 28.957889

Recai Mehmet Efendi Sibyan Mektebi / Vefa - Fatih photo recaimehmet_madrasa107.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

The sibyan mektebi, or primary school, of Recai Mehmet Efendi, First Lord of the Treasury and Keeper of the Seal under Sultan Abdülhamit I. It is currently used by the İlim Yayma Vakfı as Recai Mehmet Efendi Kütüphanesi.

The upper floor is built of alternate courses of brick and stone, but the entire ground floor is sheathed in an elaborately decorated marble casing. In the centre is the projecting curve of the sebil with three fine bronze grilles between the columns; on the left is the ornate entrance portal, while balancing this on the right is a çeşme. A long decorative inscription over the sebil gives the date of foundation as A.H. 1189 (A.D. 1775).

Unfortunately, the level of the ground has risen considerably since then and this imposing façade has been somewhat swamped and belittled by it. But in spite of this and the poor condition of the fabric, it remains one of the more elaborate and charming of the small Ottoman primary schools.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Recai Mehmet Efendi Kütüphanesi

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : iyv@iyv.org.tr
Phone : +90 212 511 2290
Fax : +90 212 511 2291

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

KUYUCU MURAT PASHA MADRASA

Vezneciler, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'41.0"N 28°57'36.0"E / 41.011389, 28.960000

Kuyucu Murat Pasha Madrasa / Vezneciler - Fatih photo kuyucumurat_madrasa108.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

A small triangular medrese, this elegant little complex was built in 1606 by Kuyucu Murat Paşa, Grand Vezir in the reign of Sultan Ahmet I. The apex of the triangle is formed by the columned sebil, with simple classical lines.

Facing the street is an arcade of shops in the middle of which a doorway leads to the courtyard of the medrese. The classical style Madrasah, L-shaped, with 14 rooms, the madrasah undergone numerous restorations during its history.

Entering, find the tomb of the founder in the acute angle behind the sebil, and at the other end the dershane, which, as so often, served also as a small mosque. The tomb of the Pasha, who died in 1611, is situated next to the madrasah. Also, buried in the tomb, are Abaza Ahmet Pasha (1638) and Cağaloğlu Sinan Paşazade Mehmet Pasha.

This building has been taken over and restored by Istanbul University; the courtyard has been roofed in and used as a small museum, while the dershane contains a library. Kuyucu Murat Pasha Madrasah is today the Faculty of Fine Arts of İstanbul University.

Today, the complex has been absorbed by Istanbul University, its courtyard having been roofed in and used as a museum for the fine arts, while its library remains operational.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : İstanbul Üniversitesi, Güzel Sanatlar Bölümü Başkanlığı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : iubilgi@istanbul.edu.tr
Phone : +90 212 440 0000
Fax : +90 212 526 0300

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

SINAN PASHA MADRASA

Beşiktaş - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°02'32.6"N 29°00'21.8"E / 41.042389, 29.006056

Sinan Pasha Madrasa / Besiktas - Istanbul photo sinanmadrasa_besiktas102.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Brother of Sadrazam Rustem Pasha, Chief Admiral Sinan Pasha, had Sinan Pasha Madrasa which is opposite the statue of Barbaros on a place crossing of Barbaros Avenue with Beşiktaş Caddesi in Beşiktaş district, Istanbul province built. The construction community was completed after the death of Sinan Pasha in 1553. It is written on the tablet above mosque that the mosque was completed in 1555.

Madrasa alcoves in the courtyard of Sinan Pasha Mosque were not able to keep its originality up. Twelve madrasa alcoves which are supposed that it is square planned, consists of domed rooms and which comes into existence with pavement of brick in alternative system are roofed today. It is not known when this roof was sited there and it is supposed that it was constructed by General Directorate of Foundations in 1930s.

Sinan Paşa Madrasa was built at the northwest corner of Sinan Paşa Mosque. The madrasa surrounds the courtyard of the mosque. The repair work during 1970-1972 has somewhat altered the original form of the building, with the wooden cover over the portico. The Beşiktaş Sinan Pasha Medrese (1555) is Architect Sinan's first attempt at integrating a mosque with a medrese. It has no lecture hall.

It is one of the early madrasa types which Sinan experimented by joining the madrasa with a mosque. Madrasa surrounds mosque's entrance at three sides and defines a courtyard. At the center of the courtyard an ablution fountain is placed.

Madrasa consists of riwaks which surround the courtyard in three sides and behind riwaks, two iwans and twelve rooms are covered with a double sloped roof. There are twelve rectangular and square rooms which differ in dimensions. It does not have any lecture hall.

Only marble water-tank in its courtyard was able to reach today with its original form. There is a small courtyard including toilets behind madrasa rooms. From sources it is understood that madrasa was opened to education in 1557, had 31 students in 1869 and was shelved in 1914. Madrasa went through restoration work between 1970 and 1972. Left iwan was used as water depot and some wood frames were placed between riwaks.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

AYASOFYA SIBYAN MEKTEBİ

Sultanahmet, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'29.1"N 28°58'44.1"E / 41.008072, 28.978919

Ayasofya Sibyan Mektebi / Sultanahmet - Fatih photo ayasofya_sibyan105.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

The Elementary School in the southwest yard of Hagia Sophia has been built by Sultan Mahmud I in 1740. The building had been utilized as a school until the museum period. It had been utilized as the housing of the museum afterwards.

The Elementary School organized previously as the housing of Administration has been transformed into "Hagia Sophia Research and Documentation Unit and Photograph and Exhibition Hall of Elementary Schools" in December 2010 after maintenance and arrangement work by the resolution of Hagia Sophia Museum Administration. Actual meetings and conferences are realized in the center, the academic archive of Hagia Sophia Museum is going to be kept.

Announcements of activities like 'Hagia Sophia Conferences' realized in Information and Documentation Center constituted for providing resources for researches related to Hagia Sophia and surroundings and rendering public service with this aspec.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Hagia Sophia Research Documentation Unit and Photograph and Exhibition Hall of Elementary Schools

MORE INFO & CONTACT
Phone : +90 212 522 1750 / +90 212 522 0989
Fax : +90 212 512 5474

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

SEYYİT HASAN PAŞA MADRASA

Beyazit, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'37.0"N 28°57'41.2"E / 41.010278, 28.961444

Seyyit Hasan Pasha Madrasa / Beyazit - Fatih photo seyyithasan_medresesi123.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Slight slope on a plot of a madrasa greatest taken as well as stone, braided in two alternating rows of brick walls, the material has been built. Rectangular windows with pointed arches open to the outside facades of brick and cut stone pediments shoveled. The top two rows of brick building surrounded by spiked fringe. Gained ground floor west-facing front elevation, slope, covered with cut stone. Round-arched door opening from the axis has shifted to the right.

That the date 1158 on the door of the poet Nimet’e Seyyid Ahmed Hocazade marble inscription was written by nine coupleted suspend a line. Starting barrel-vaulted hallway stairs to the courtyard of the madrasa greatest reached. Arches on the gate opens onto the courtyard area and sitting in front of the two columns that have been evaluated as an iwan of the madrasa floor of this unit over other units is kept high, there is the mirror.

Wool to the front of the two original windows in the south west of the classroom, this unit / mosque venue is necessary to round arched door. There is an inscription in two lines on the door. The square shaped classroom / mosque above the transition squinches provided internally threaded, externally covered with an octagonal dome. Two windows in three directions, with the window open to the outside space of three fronts in the western direction of cut stone consoles were slightly forward.

Placed on the altar in the corner, tromplarda, the dome is stenciled decorations. Purity dome in the heart of Surat, Surat an-Nur base of the dome, the pendentives formed at the corners of squinches filled with God, Muhammed, the Four Caliphs, Hassan and Hussein are writing. Squinches filled with consoles that make up the elegant arches are filled six vegetative form. Although renovated, reflecting the transfer of works of art style of the pen. Classroom / mosque prayer times of the past are known to be open to the outside community.

Classroom / space is a small mosque minarets on either side close to the southern front corner and a bird in an elegant mansion, which was placed two steps out of consoles. Grooved on three sides except the south courtyard titled openings with pointed arches made of brick with marble columns, sits surrounded by porches. East and west direction, mirrored vault above the porticos, the north direction, provided the transition pendantives covered with domes.

Porticos behind the east, west and north direction has been ranked in the madrasa rooms. These rooms are covered with domes on pendentives northern and Eastern peoples. Two rooms at the west front of the mirror in front vault. Round-arched niches rooms with lockers and stove inside a rectangular aperture door and a window opens with a courtyard. Pointed arches, pediments over doors and windows, most of this is called the glass decorated underwear.

The rooms have windows opening outwards. And the Northeast corner of the rectangular unit, which is regulated as a latrine in northern and eastern direction with two square openings called windows and mirrors above the vault covered with elephant eyes. That are known to have a fountain in the courtyard now survive. In 1914, repaired in 1892 saw the madrasa, a fountain, laundry, the toilet and abdesthane needed repair, the inspection report of the delegation determined.

Undergoing a thorough repair in 1949 three windows that opened to the south of the courtyard building. Then again repaired in 1990 and now sees the structure of Istanbul University, Institute for Eurasian Studies, the activity continues.

ISTANBUL UNIVERSITY, INSTITUTE FOR EURASIAN STUDIES

Since the Eurasian region, which is closely related with the past history of our country, cultural, economic and political characteristics and potential of the study and carry out in this way the different relations of our country needs today can display information about the region and the production staff is the primary objective of our institute.

The region is extremely important historical and cultural ties, not only for our country, in the last twenty years as a result of dramatic transformations in the political-military exchanges and many new independent states, especially in today’s chaotic structure of its energy and natural gas resources, and also for the world balance of has a strategic importance.

The chaotic structure, history and diplomatic resources needed to solve the problems of the region born in the past, the region is active and decisive role played by inter-communal relations, especially in the Ottoman Archives presence in Turkey, today brings Turkey to have a say in the region. In particular, both geographically and politically active in Eurasia in a position the geographic area extending from Turkey and the Balkans and the Caucasus in the Middle East, starting from the date on which the state has a cultural and political ties.

For this reason, both experts familiar with the languages ​​of the Eurasian region and to provide for education and academic staff, graduate programs for this purpose and carry out open in the region, creating the infrastructure required to produce a solution to issues of interest to Turkey and to this end, and academic publications of our institute aims to organize activities.

The Institute is an interdisciplinary perspective to follow developments closely with the geography of the region, aims to further investigations and research. Black Sea, the Caucasus and the Middle East, Eastern Mediterranean and the Aegean, the Balkans and Eastern Europe, and finally the Central Asian countries such as the different geographies, political, historical, social and cultural aspects and problems of Turkey and links with and understanding of these problems is investigated in a sufficient manner perspectives is to produce solutions.

Thus in Turkey, especially in the academic field, doing research on this region and to provide guidance to researchers seeking to build knowledge in the formation of cadres and publications will be provided. In addition, the Institute for Eurasian region, including national and international congresses, conferences, colloquia, symposia, panel discussions, seminars, talks, courses, exhibitions, scientific meetings and publication activities, such as memorial days alone, as the performing or contribute to the achievement in bilateral and multilateral targeted the development of mutual knowledge and opinion are consulted.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Istanbul University, Institute for Eurasian Studies

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : avrasya@istanbul.edu.tr
Phone : +90 212 455 5859 / +90 212 455 5700
Fax : +90 212 455 5762

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

EKMEKÇİZADE AHMET PAŞA MADRASA

Vefa, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'53.7"N 28°57'32.0"E / 41.014917, 28.958889

Ekmekcizade Ahmet Pasha Madrasa / Vefa - Fatih photo ekmekcizade_madrasa105.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

At the next corner we turn left on Kovacılar Caddesi and immediately on our right we see another ancient Ottoman building. This is the handsome medrese built some time before his death in 1618 by Ekmekçizade Ahmet Paşa, son of an Edirne baker, who rose to the rank of Defterdar (First Lord of the Treasury) and Vezir, and died one of the richest men in the Empire. The architect is considered to have been Sedefkar Mehmet Ağa.

Until a few years ago the medrese was a ruin, inhabited by gypsies, but now it has been partially restored. Those who like variations on a theme will be pleased to note some anomalies :  the right side of the court is occupied by the usual dershane, next to which, however, is a türbe of the same size, making the courtyard a bit lopsided.

Both still preserve remnants of a rather good painted decoration in domes and pendentives, a rich red with deep green meander patterns. The birdhouses, on the madrasah’s walls, are particularly interesting. Even in its half-restored condition this is an interesting monument and well worth a visit.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : İbnü’l Emin Mahmut Kemal İnal Yüksek Tahsil Erkek Talebe Yurdu

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : iyv@iyv.org.tr
Phone : +90 212 511 2290
Fax : +90 212 511 2291

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

MİHRİMAH SULTAN MADRASA

Selmanağa, Üsküdar - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°01'38.5"N 29°00'58.7"E / 41.027361, 29.016306

Mihrimah Sultan Madrasa / Selmanaga - Uskudar photo mihrimah_madrasa105.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Mihrimah Sultan Madrasa was built by Mimar Sinan. It was in the middle of a complex constituted of mosque, Ottoman soup kitchen for the poor, school, muvakkithane, fountain and mortmain.

There are fourteen rooms and a classroom in the Medressah. The classroom is in the north of the Madrasa. There is a pretty fountain in the middle of the courtyard.

Medressah was built for “Üsküdar Nursing and Schooling Infants Social Hygiene Dispensary”. It’s became Psychiatry Dispensary in the year 1975. Now, it is been operated as a Özel Mihrimah Sultan Tıp Merkezi Hastanesi.

Today, the medresse is used as a health center and the school for the children is now a childrens library. There is a fountain located next to the wall closest to the Bosphorus and another one under the school.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Özel Mihrimah Sultan Tıp Merkezi

MORE INFO & CONTACT
Phone : +90 216 341 7090
Fax : +90 216 341 6399

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

ANKARAVİ MEHMET EFENDİ MADRASA

Saraçhane, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'47.3"N 28°57'14.9"E / 41.013139, 28.954139

Ankaravi Mehmet Efendi Madrasa / Sarachane - Fatih photo ankaravi_madrasah105.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Ankaravi Mehmet Efendi Madrasah is located between İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and Hoşkadem (Sekbanbaşı Mehmet Ağa Masjid, dated 1451 - 1481), was built by Sheikh ul - islam Ankaravi Mehmet Efendi in 1707.

The madrasah, mainly built of red brick, seems to have been constructed symmetrically. The architect that built the madrasah containing 14 cabins, a classroom, and a toilet is unknown.

It is a small and attractively irregular building, chiefly of red brick, with a long, narrow courtyard, at the far end of which is the lecture-hall reached by a flight of steps.

The madrasah, which was used by the Army in 1918. This has recently been restored and is now used as part of the Economics Faculty of the University, is the Turkish World Research Foundation today.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Türk Dünyası Araştırmaları Vakfı Merkezi

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : tdav@turan.org
Phone : +90 212 511 1006
Fax : +90 212 520 5363

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

KÜÇÜK AYASOFYA MADRASA

Sultanahmet, Fatih - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'10.6"N 28°58'18.6"E / 41.002944, 28.971833

Kucuk Ayasofya Madrasa / Sultanahmet - Fatih photo kayasofya_madrasa110.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Hüseyin Ağa who was the chief of palace guards in the reign of Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II. Hüseyin Ağa bought the church and he added a big madrasah including 24 rooms, a shrine where he was buried , a bath, a charity kitchen some stores  later in the large courtyard of the former church.

It has a wide garden with 24 rooms in south of the edifice and in the middle there is a Madrasa built on the name of Hüseyin Ağa, the founder of the mosque. The Madrasa was restored by Yesevi Foundation and granted to the service of Turkish Handicrafts. Nearby is Kesikbaş Hüseyin Ağa Tomb.

The building was restored twice in 1836 and 1956, its various copper parts and plasters were renewed and its single minaret was repaired considerably.

Later on the madrasa, the current portico, the fountain for ablutions and the small minaret were added. We also find a small Ottoman cemetery and the tomb of Hüseyin Ağa. The complex offers craft shops, flea books market and also a coffee place.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Hoca Ahmet Yesevi Vakfı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : info@hocaahmedyesevivakfi.com
Phone : +90 212 638 5012
Fax : +90 212 638 3547

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

SULTANAHMET MADRASA

Sultanahmet, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'23.5"N 28°58'38.1"E / 41.006528, 28.977250

Sultanahmet Darulhadis Madrasa / Fatih - Istanbul photo sultanahmet_madrasa104.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Dar-al hadith madrasah which constitutes a section of Sultanahmet Complex was built around a rectangular shaped courtyard which lies in parallel with the kiblah. The madrasah consists of porticos, cells, classroom and masjid. The entrance of the shrine is connected to the porticos with a gate among the cells. A round-shaped fountain is located in the middle of the rectangular planned madrasah built of face stones.

The madrasah with 24 cells sequenced around the courtyard draws attention with also this feature. There are 12 or 16 cells in the madrasahs of Ottoman architecture in general. There are windows opening towards outside and porticos in most of the cell. The cells in which niches and a furnace are included are covered with small domes up above.

The fact that the classroom which was raised from the ground with three steps used to be utilized as masjid in the past could be understood by the mihrab on kiblah wall. There is a dome with pandantive on the classroom with two-layer windows on its facades.

The madrasa stands on the opposite side of the lane from the mausoleum and the walled-in cemetery. It is composed of twenty-four rooms around a rectangular arcaded courtyard with a fountain at the center. The main entrance, in axis with the fountain, is located at the center of the northwestern wing. Traces of columns around the fountain suggest that it may have been roofed. The madrasa rooms have windows opening to the courtyard and the exterior and are equipped with fireplaces (ocak) and shelving niches.

The main classroom (dersane) is a typically annexed at the northern corner of the cloister rather than on its longitudinal axis. Madrasa functions were discontinued with the education reform law (Tevhid-i Tedrisat Kanunu) in 1924. The building was restored in 1935 and the courtyard was covered with a glass roof to prepare for its new use as an archive for the Directorate of Public Affairs.

The madrasah, which was active until 1924, was repaired in 1935 and its courtyard was covered with a glass roof. The restoration activities on the Madrasah of Sultan Ahmet were commenced in November 2011. Mentioning that the madrasah sets an example since it was covered above in 1935. Another feature of the madrasah is its monolith fountain stone, a single block was carved into a fountain, it keeps its originality and it is the only example in this sense.

In scope of the activities on the dome, the lead tiles were pulled out and the soil underneath was removed. The joints on the dome were replaced. Khorasan mortar was applied on the dome. Wooden girders beneath the lead were pulled out and replaced. Clay and straw plaster was applied on the dome prior to placing lead tiles. Plaster on the chimneys were removed and khorasan mortar was applied following brick corrosion and solidification activities.

The glass roof above the courtyard of the madrasah was removed in compliance with roof static reporting and revised restoration project. Reinforced concrete columns and beams that carry the roof were cut and brought away from the structure. Injection hoses were placed into the cracks detected on the dome and the walls. Cleaning activities were conducted on the marble surfaces. Windows and iron shutters of the cells were removed. The stones which lost quality on the domes and trimmers were corroded.

New stones were placed instead of the corroded ones. Facade was cleaned in compliance with Protection, Implementation and Control Office (KUDEP) report. Recently built marble finials were placed on the dome. The windows of exterior walls were prepared. On the ground survey conducted in the cells of the madrasah’s masjid, original brick flooring was identified. Rasper was applied on the interior walls of the cells. Knotted iron grilles were strengthened. Original ornaments were revealed during the rasper activities conducted in the masjid of the madrasah and the wood floor planking was pulled out.

A heating system was installed without damaging the madrasah. The madrasah will function with the same purpose for which Sultan Ahmet I established the madrasah in the first place. The restoration of the madrasah is conducted by Fatih Municipality with the support of Special Provincial Administration but it is assigned to Sultan Ahmet Mosque Protection and Rejuvenation Association.

The madrasah was built so as to host hadith lessons, therefore it will render service as a place where religious education is delivered again. The madrasah will be able to render service within a month with its renewed infrastructure and superstructure. After more than a century in the center of the old city, the The Ottoman Archives of the Prime Minister’s Office were relocated in 2013 to the Kağıthane district of Istanbul.

Reminding that the madrasah, which was used to be utilized as the storage room of Prime Ministry General Directorate of State Archive, is a part of Sultan Ahmet Complex; this structure complex consists of Sultan Ahmet Mosque, Hünkar Qasr, the shrine, darü'l-kurra sıbyan school, fountain, public fountains, hospital, poorhouse, bath and bazaar.

This madrasa recently been restored and is now used as part of the İstanbul Sultanahmet Waqf today.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : İstanbul Sultanahmet Waqf

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : iletisim@isva.org.tr
Phone : +90 212 518 1898
Fax : +90 212 381 6286

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

CEVRİ KALFA SIBYAN MEKTEBİ

Sultanahmet, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'29.0"N 28°58'35.8"E / 41.008056, 28.976611

Cevri Kalfa Sibyan Mektebi / Sultanahmet - Fatih photo cevrikalfa_mektebi107.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Cevri Kalfa, a slave girl who saved Sultan Mahmud II's life and was awarded for her bravery and loyalty and appointed hazinedar usta, the chief treasurer of the imperial Harem, which was the second most important position in the hierarchy. The building is one of the earliest modern school buildings in Istanbul. It was built by Sultan Mahmud II in the imperial style, in honour of the concubine Cevri Kalfa, who had rescued and carried him to safety during the events known as Alemdar Incident.

Protestors who stormed the Ottoman palace in 1808 and killed Sultan Selim III also wanted to kill Sultan Mahmut II. The prince was saved from the hands of the protestors by one of the women of the palace, Georgian Cevri Kalfa. She first hid him in her room, and then used her own body to shield him from the shooting protestors. She used ashes from a fire to try and distance the angry protestors from her room.

At that point two other palace officials, Anber and Isa Ağa, came to her assistance, rescuing the prince from the palace. Sultan Mahmut II received a knife wound to his arm, but at least he lived. When Mahmud II becomes sultan, he appointed Georgian Cevri Kalf as “hazinedarbaşı” (an office on par with that of being a vizier), and she stayed on for good.

When Cevri Hanım died, in 1819, Mahmud II had her buried alongside the grave of his mother and ordered a fountain and a primary school built in her name. The school in Sultanahmet was built by Sultan Mahmud II in 1839 as a gift of thanks to Cevri Kalfa, a slave girl from his Harem, who saved his life during an uprising of the Janissaries before he was a sultan.

Cevri Kalfa Sibyan Mektebi (Ottoman elementary school) was build in 1819 by Sultan Mahmut II in the loving memory of Cevri Kalfa Cevri Kalfa is the person that saved Sultan Mahmut’s live in 1808, when rebelstried to enter the harem after a death firman (imperial order) ruled by the Bab-ı Ali jurisdiction. Build with an empirical stylethis ottoman elementary school is the biggest one in Istanbul.

It has been used as an elementary school, art school for girls, vocational school specialized inprinting, courthouse and as a modern primary school. It was the largest primary school of its time in Istanbul and became a girl’s only school in 1858, a printing school in 1930 and reinstated as a primary school in 1945.

TURKISH LITERATURE FOUNDATION - EDEBİYAT KIRAATHANESİ

In 1985 it was donated to the Turkish Literature Foundation (Türk Edebiyat Vakfı) and in 2009 underwent full restoration. There is an attractive fountain built into the outside wall that forms an essential part of the main building.

Turkish people love deserts, coffee and tea. Yes, there’re lot of cafes offering this perfect trilogy but only a few are as historical as Edebiyat Kıraathanesi. This cafe used to be a school, Cevri Kalfa Sıbyan Mektebi, back in Ottoman Era. It was reborn four years ago when Ahmet Kabaklı, the founder of Turkish Literature Foundation, decided to open a cafe where writers, literature critics and book worms can come together and exchange their ideas while sipping their coffee or tea enjoy delicious desserts.

At the cafe, there’s a small souvenir corner. Also, there are two libraries. Today it houses The Turkish Literature Foundation and an inviting branch of the Hafız Mustafa pastry shop that has been in business since 1864.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Türk Edebiyatı Vakfı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : tedev30@gmail.com
Phone : +90 212 526 1615 / +90 212 527 5032
Fax : +90 212 513 7749

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved. 

RÜSTEM PAŞA MADRASA

Cağaloğlu, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'47.8"N 28°58'20.3"E / 41.013278, 28.972306

Rustem Pasha Madrasa / Cagaloglu - Fatih photo rustempasa_madrasa106.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Rüstem Pasha Madrasah was built by Mimar Sinan with Rüstem Pasha ‘s support who is the son in law of Kanuni Sultan Süleyman and became grand veziriate of Süleyman in later periods between 1544-1533 and 1533-1561.

Although the date in which the madrasah was established is commonly known as being 1547, in its inscription the date is shown to be 1550, as documented in a four-line inscription in Persian. The madrasah has architectual qualities that are highly regarded and which stand out as unique from its surroundings.

Mimar Sinan, in this particular monument, used a different style than the other madrasahs in Istanbul with  the repetition of the octagonal yard system that was used in Kapı Ağası Madrasah in Amasya in 1488.

The structure; which has a square shape in the outside has 24 rooms inside that had been placed behind surrounding octagonal porches. The plan of the corner rooms that enables the passing from the square system to the octagon system is only tried in this madrasah by Sinan.

Rüstem Pasha Madrasah is an edifice in terms of its size, style and arhitectural design that is built for the name of sultans. Like most other Ottoman monuments, its outer walls are composed of limestone. Its octagonal courtyard measures 43 x 43 m and it has 23 rooms.

The madrasa comprises an octagonal courtyard within in a square-shaped structure. The main entrance is located on the eastern elevation and leads to the courtyard through an octagonal domed portico with drop arches based on piers with capitals on the corner and a set of two intervening columns. Seven paths paved in stone lead to the octagonal ablution fountain with a pyramidal roof in the middle of the courtyard.

The construction that was used as the madrasah until the 19th century in the Ottoman period was also used as an orphanage and as a college dormitory in 20th century. It was restored in the years of 1843,1868,1893,1903 and 1916.

It was recently restored by the Fatih Municipality in 2009 and in 2012, and it was assigned to the Istanbul Foundation for Science and Culture to be used for cultural and scholarly purposes. It now has 4 rooms which are each part of a permanent museum to show historical documents.

The building was damaged in the fire of 1666 and during the earthquake of 1776 but used as a madrasah until 1869. The madrasah functioned as a shelter for the homeless after 1870 and then was converted into a dormitory in 1966 after restoration. The building was assigned for public service in 1978.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : İstanbul İlim Kültür Vakfı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : iikv@iikv.org
Phone : +90 212 527 8181
Fax : +90 212 527 8080

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

CAFER AĞA MADRASA

Sultanahmet, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'34.7"N 28°58'43.8"E / 41.009639, 28.978833

Cafer Aga Madrasa / Sultanahmet - Fatih photo caferaga_madrasa111.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Caferağa Madrasah is named after the person who had the idea to build it. Cafer Ağa, acting as agha of Babüssaade (third gate of Topkapı Palace), had commissioned the chief master Mimar Sinan for the construction of the madrasah. However, he died before the construction ended and his brother Gazanfer Agha took over his mission and reposed his soul and finally, the madrasah initiated the education in 1559.

While the madrasahs compose generally one of the completing components of the Ottoman social complex around a mosque, Caferağa Madrasah found place among independent madrasahs. The original plan of the building has remained untouched for the most part. It features a single story row of rooms built around an open courtyard square with a lecture hall located at the unenclosed mouth of a U-shaped portico.

According to the list made in 1792, the number of  rooms in the madrasah were 14 and 28 people were living there. It became a shelter the people who lost their homes during the fires in 1918.

APPLIED HANDCRAFTS CENTER

The medrese, listed within the independent medreses and having had a number of restorations until today, was transformed by the Turkish Cultural Service Foundation in 1989 into a tourist centre with 15 classrooms/exhibition rooms, a big salon and a garden where traditional Turkish handicrafts such as calligraphy, ceramics, jewelry and so forth are taught, made and sold.

The medrese is located very close to the Hagia Sophia, stairs lead down to it from the small street. The structure is entered through the main gate which leads into the inner courtyard, around which the former learning rooms are located. There is a restaurant inside that offers a variety of Turkish dishes.

The madrasah are used today both as classroom and exhibition area. In these rooms where the traditional Turkish handicraft and music courses are taught, the visitors have the opportunity to see these handicraft works and buy them, if they wish.

The workshop activities including a wide range such as Turkish marbling, calligraphy, illumination art, miniature, jewellery, adornment, ceramics, porcelain decoration, wood painting, cloth painting, hot glass painting, cold glass painting, painting, free brush and mosaics give opportunity to humans with different areas of interest to choose a suitable area for themselves.

Those who are interested with music instead of handicrafts may take part in the courses of ney, ud or guitar. Another choice is the Ottoman language. Caferağa Madrasah has been keeping its ancient soul since twenty years with the attempts of the Foundation of Service to the Turkish Culture.

The structure is entered through the main gate which leads into the inner courtyard, around which the former learning rooms are located. There is a restaurant inside that offers a variety of Turkish dishes and a cafe in its courtyard which serves a variety of snacks.

It offers a large variety of workshops on handicrafts and music, as well as hosting music and art exhibitions. Caferağa Medresesi has become a popular place for both Turkish and foreign artists to study traditional Turkish arts and all are welcome to attend the workshops. Students exhibit their works in the rooms of the Medrese and visitors are free to wander these.

Caferağa Medresesi of Foundation for Serving Turkish Culture

Handicrafts
Marbling (Ebru), Porcelain decoration, Gilding (Tezhip), Decorative painting (wood, cloth, glass), Ribbon embroidery, Calligraphy, Ottoman Language, Ceramic, Stained glass, Miniature,
Ornament, Jewelry, Painting

Music Workshops
Reed Flute (Ney), Guitar: Satumrday, Lute (Ud)

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Türk Kültürüne Hizmet Vakfı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : caferagamedrese@tkhv.org
Phone : +90 212 513 3601
Fax : +90 212 513 3602

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

SOKULLU ŞEHİT MEHMET PASHA MADRASA

Eyüp - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°02'49.5"N 28°56'03.7"E / 41.047083, 28.934361

Sokullu Sehit Mehmet Pasha Madrasa / Eyup photo sokullu_madrasa102.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Further up the street that leads back towards Eyüp Camii two classical türbes of great simplicity face one another. The one on the left is that of Sokullu Şehit Mehmet Paşa, it forms part of a small külliye. Elegant and well-proportioned, it is severely plain, but the interior contains some interesting stained glass, partly ancient and partly a modern imitation but very well done; alternate windows are predominantly blue and green.

Commissioned by Sokollu Şehit Mehmet Paşa in 1568-1569. This is a small complex that consists of a madrasa, a house for readers of the Quran (darül-kurra), a tomb, and a fountain, all surrounded by a courtyard wall. He is buried at his complex, tomb (türbe built) by famous architect Mimar Sinan for him c. 1572. His wife Ismihan (or Esma Han) is buried near him and in the little garden of the türbe are buried the family and descendants of Sokollu Mehmed Paşa.

Sinan designed two almost identical buildings: one is the türbe of Sokullu Mehmet Paşa, the other the dershane (lecture hall) of an adjoining small medrese; the two are linked by a short gallery, their doors face each other and are both decorated with ancient marbles green for the turbe and red for the dershane. Sinan has a different achievement of experience in this madrasa; as it is departed at the first glance to the plan. The longitude settlement composes an axis that directs the courtyard to the lecture hall and the lecture hall to the tomb by an eaved passage.

The cells are located on the longer sides and the lecture hall standts on the narrow side, facing the entrance side, on which also the latrines are located. Actually the complex is composed of the madrasa, the tomb, a school fo Qur'an recitation (Dar'ülkurra) and latrines. With ornamentation on the lecture hall door and colored inner glasses for the top windows, the madrasa has a rich appearance.

Sinan is mentioned to achieve considerable experimental success in this design.Today The Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Madrasa of Eyüp. As in the Darülkurra, Sokullu Mehmet Pasha had this madrasa dedicated to his wife. This building can be visited during work hours. The Madrasa building with its other properties, still keeps its authentic appearance.

Dominating the complex is the madrasa, which is aligned roughly north-south (northwest-southeast) and has a rectangular plan arranged on a seven by eleven modular grid. A five by eleven module portico encloses the courtyard on all sides; just outside of the portico, the long east and west wings of the madrasa house twenty-two cells, each with its own dome.

In this rectangular plan shape madrasah, there are 19 student rooms, 2 iwans and a entrance hall. The madrasah classroom is roofed with a dome whose diameter is 9,6 meter. The interior of the tomb, which is dated at same time as the madrasah, is decorated with verses on ceramic tiles.

The madrasa is entered from its northeasternmost cell, from a portal that faces east and leads to the northern wing of the madrasa portico. In the madrasa, nineteen of the twenty-two cells, which measure approximately three and a half meters on a side, are articulated as student rooms and are surmounted by domes with pendentives.

Entering through the doors facing the courtyard, each student has a stove niche near the door and three shelving niches on the side walls. The facade walls are articulated with two lower and one upper window. Two of the student cells are articulated as iwans, both on the west wing: one faces east and opens to the madrasa courtyard, and the other is the northwestern most cell, opening to the outside on the north.

There are also two larger independent cells, sitting outside of the madrasa rectangle just north and west of the northwesternmost cell, that are used as service rooms. The classroom is located to the north of the madrasa rectangle; varying from convention, it is not wrapped by smaller cells, but sits alone off the north end of the portico. It is entered through one of the opposing doors of the madrasa, which are placed in the middle of northern and southern walls.

The classroom is a square structure that is surmounted by a dome ornamented with stalactite carvings. The dome measures approximately nine and a half meters in diameter and sits on an octagonal drum. Featuring three windows on the west and east walls, the classroom is connected to the tomb on its north by an arched canopy, which is surmounted by eaves and carried over columns with stalactite capitals.

The cemetery is located on the east of this connecting canopy. On the other side of the madrasa, the door on the south leads to the toilets, which are arranged within a free standing rectangular structure that is rotated to the west of southwest and surmounted by a barrel vault. The tomb, standing on the north end of the complex, is an octagonal structure surmounted by a dome that directly sits on its walls.

It sits north of the madrasa classroom, and across the street from (to the south of) the mausolea of Siyavuş Paşa and Mirmiran Mehmet Paşa. On its exterior, with the exception of its south (entry) elevation, each face of the octagon is pierced with a casement and an arched window above it. On the interior, niches carved between the casements soften the corners of the octagon.

The tomb is the most ornamented structure in the complex. On the exterior, the voissoirs of the entrance portal and the lower windows are ornamented with green and white marble. The interior contains remarkable pencil work on the dome and tiled decoration with an inscription band that encircles the tomb.

The darül-kurra is a rectangular structure located east of the classroom. Commissioned in the name of Ismihan Sultan, the wife of Sokollu Mehmet Paşa, it is the only detached structure in the complex. It is entered through a single bay portico topped by a miniature dome on its north side. Two rectangular windows, topped by an arched one in the middle of the wall, appear on its east and west elevations.

According to the records, a restoration project was undertaken in 1962. The madrasa, whose portico was later glazed, now serves as a medical center, and the darül-kurra is a children's library. After a restoration during 1961-1962, the madrasa was converted into a health center and presently, the Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Madrasa of Eyüp, is used by the the Ministry of Health as a health center and clinic.

However, some changes took place in the interior as a result of this new function. One of the most visible that the portico of the madrasa is fitted with glass panes. Additionally the Darülkurra can be visited during work hours.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

GAZANFER AĞA MADRASA

Saraçhanebaşı, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'58.7"N 28°57'19.6"E / 41.016306, 28.955444

Gazanfer Aga Madrasa / Sarachanebasi - Fatih photo gazanferaga_madrasa111.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Established by Gazanfer Ağa in 1599, it includes a small medrese, the türbe of the founder, and a charming sebil with handsome grilled windows. Gazanfer Ağa was the younger brother of Cafer Ağa, whose medrese we saw next to Haghia Sophia. He was Chief of the White Eunuchs in the reign of Sultan Mehmet III. Gazanfer was the last of the White Eunuchs to control affairs in the Saray, for after his time the Chief Black Eunuch became the dominant figure.

The Gazanfer Ağa complex, which consists of an Ottoman medrese, a shrine and a fountain in Saraçhanebaşı, was restored as the new structure and  re-opened in 1989. Gazanfer Ağa Complex, which was probably built by the Architect Davut Ağa between 1590 and 1591, is one of the rare examples without a mosque in the center. It was restored many times after the fire of 1782 for various reasons.

Gazanfer Ağa built a small medrese and his own turbe near the Aqueduct of Valens and at a short distance from a small hammam designed by Mimar Sinan. Built in 1599, the Gazanfer Ağa Complex contained a medrese (religious school), sabil (water fountain) and a turbe (cemetary). The contrast in the typically Ottoman architecture, with its multiple domes and small turrets, is amplified by the shadowing Roman aqueduct next door.

It is the first place in Ottoman architecture where the patron’s tomb was built next to his work. The dodecagonal plan tomb was built with cut küfeki stone and it contains three sarcophagi. The madrasah with 17 rooms, which fulfilled its main function until 1914, was subsequently closed.

After the restoration between 1943 and 1944, the madrasah hosted the Belediye Museum until 1989. It was converted into the Cartoon and Humour Museum after the Belediye Museum.

Two triangular office towers rising over the ground floor pedestal and oriented to the roof garden on top of the ground floor. While their north and south façades are blank against the extreme weather conditions, other diagonal façades look to richly landscaped roof gardens.

Gazanfer Ağa and his brother Cafer Ağa were taken prisoner during the campaign of Hungary, and later entered the service of Şehzade Selim by converting into Islam. Şehzade Selim, before he ascended to the throne in 1566, invited Gazanfer Ağa and his brother Cafer Ağa to the palace to join his household, which they could do only as eunuch. Cafer died during surgery, but Gazanfer worked in senior positions for 30 year, before being executed by fatwa in the rebellion in 1603.

Gazanfer Ağa was the Head of the White Eunuchs had been captured when he was a boy; he became a servant of the future Sultan Selim II who convinced him to become an eunuch. With the favour of Nurbanu and Safiye Sultan he became one of the most influential persons in the government.

He served three sultans, but in 1603 Sultan Mehmet III had to face an almost open rebellion of the highest ranks of the army; they accused Gazanfer of ill advising the Sultan Mehmet III eventually was forced to sacrifice Gazanfer, who was murdered before his very eyes. Gazanfer was the last of the White Eunuchs to be the chief of the Harem; Sultan Mehmet III gave this role to a Black Eunuch.

Gazanfer Ağa was executed in 1603, having involved himself too deeply in the affairs of the Harem. The külliye was restored in 1945 and originally housed the Municipal Museum; it now serves as the Museum of Cartoons and Humour. Like most city museums, it has a rather provincial and neglected look, though some of the exhibits are not without interest. The cells of the medrese have had doors cut between them to form the galleries of the museum.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2016, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

ÇORLULU ALİ PASHA MADRASA

Beyazıt, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'32.1"N 28°58'04.5"E / 41.008917, 28.967917

Corlulu Ali Pasha Madrasa / Beyazit - Fatih photo corluluali_madrasa116.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Çorlulu Ali Paşa Medresi is a historic location in the university neighborhood of Beyazit and is popular with students who still come to hang out here from the nearby universities. The 300-year-old Medrese was a religious school and dervish lodge during the Ottoman times, before becoming a bustling bazaar area in the mid-20th century. The complex, resembles the classical style, and is one of the important examples of the transition period to the Baroque style.

Today it is an oasis for locals and tourists alike who are seeking relaxing refuge from the hustle and bustle of the nearby Grand Bazaar area. There are wooden tables and chairs in the shaded courtyard area, Iznik-tiled table tops, mosaic lamps dangling from the ceiling and carpets hanging on the walls.

The lodge (Tekke) was called ‘Evvel’ and the madrasah was named ‘Sani’ when the lodge, inside the complex, was converted into a madrasah in the 18th century. Çorlulu Ali Pasha Madrasah complex in Istanbul's historic Çemberlitaş district, said the madrasah, built in 1711 but were damaged during the earthquake of 1894 as other complex buildings. The priority for restoration was given to the mosque. The madrasah was used for some time to house people who had lost their houses during the fire of 1918.

The madrasah, which was used as a dormitory for a short time after its restoration in 1964, was later transformed into shops selling tourist souvenirs. It is a favorite hang-out spot for many university students, who come here to pass the time over a glass of Turkish tea or an aromatic cup of Turkish coffee whilst enjoying the fragrant smoke of a hookah (also called nargile or water pipe). Apple and mint or rose and mint are recommended tobacco flavors for the hookah and in winter the warming and comforting winter drink of sahlep is also much loved.

It has also become a popular tourist location to sample this tradition of Turkey and the Middle East and is rich in atmosphere with the light haze of hookah tobacco and the musical tinkling of teaspoons in Turkish tea glasses. It is a favorite hang-out spot for many university students, who come here to pass the time over a glass of Turkish tea or an aromatic cup of Turkish coffee whilst enjoying the fragrant smoke of a hookah (also called nargile or water pipe).

Apple and mint or rose and mint are recommended tobacco flavors for the hookah and in winter the warming and comforting winter drink of sahlep is also much loved. It has also become a popular tourist location to sample this tradition of Turkey and the Middle East and is rich in atmosphere with the light haze of hookah tobacco and the musical tinkling of teaspoons in Turkish tea glasses.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

Monday, April 17, 2017

NURBANU VALİDEİ ATİK SULTAN COMPLEX

Üsküdar - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°01'06.4"N 29°01'22.9"E / 41.018444, 29.023028

Nurbanu Validei Atik Sultan Madrasa / Uskudar photo nurbanu_madrasa103.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Located in Üsküdar, in a neighborhood named after itself, the complex consists of a group of buildings surrounding a mosque and a madrasah. It is quite unique with its historic sections like caravanserai, Hadith School, the school for the memorization of Quran, a kitchen, a guest house, an elementary school, a bath and a hospital. These buildings were built by Mimar Sinan between 1570 and 1579 and were founded by Nurbanu Valide Sultan who was the mother of Sultan Murad III.

Until the 18th century, the place was called “Valide Sultan Külliyesi” but after the construction of a new similar set of buildings in Üsküdar Square with the name of Gülnuş Sultan, it started to be known as Atik Valide, Valide-i Atik (The Old Valide).

The Atik Valide Sultan Complex is located on the hill above a large and densely populated district of Üsküdar, in Istanbul. The Atik Valide complex was commissioned by Sultan Selim II (1524-1574) in 1570 for his wife Nurbanu Sultan, and was fully completed by his son, Sultan Murad III (1546-1595) in 1579. Mimar Sinan completed the complex in 1583, and it was his last major work. Constructed on a site that descends towards the northwest, it consists of three building groups separated by streets and two small, free-standing structures.

Moving from northeast to southwest, the first and the smallest of the three building groups is the dervish hostel (tekke or dergah) on the northeast. The largest building group, located on the southwest, consists of a house for readers of the Koran (darül-kurra), a college of Islamic law (darül-hadis), a hospital with an insane asylum (darüssifa), and a soup kitchen for students (imaret). The imaret is subdivided into a kitchen, a hospice (tabhane) and a caravanserai.

Standing between the tekke and the imaret cluster is the mosque, together with a large fountain courtyard that surrounds it on three sides, and the madrasa, attached to the northwest side of the mosque courtyard. Of the two freestanding structures, the larger is the bathhouse, located on the west of the complex. The smaller is the Quranic school (sibyan mektebi), and it is located southeast of the mosque.

It is a madrasa which was built by Mimar Sinan between the years of 1570 and 1579. It is in Topbaşı neighborhood of Üsküdar district, Istanbul. The madrasa which was constructed just downward elevation of the courtyard of Atik Valide Sultan Mosque is not used now and it has been losing its architectural character day by day due to dilapidation. Unfortunately the construction whose courtyard can not be entered into can be seen from the outside

The madrasah of the complex consists of eighteen rooms and it remained in operation until 1918. While fifteen of the rooms were dedicated to be used by the students, two of them were used by teaching assistants and the latter was reserved for the custodian. The madrasah was renovated between 1960 and 1963. It was a shelter for the homeless for a period of time.

The madrasa, which is attached to the northwest of the mosque courtyard, has a trapezoidal plan that narrows from southwest to northeast. Composed of eighteen cells and a classroom, the madrasa is fronted by a nineteen-bay portico that encircles its courtyard on three sides. Its fenestrated southeastern wall forms the border of and contains an entrance into the mosque fountain courtyard.

The main entrance from the street is located at the south corner of the madrasa. The classroom of the madrasa, located in the middle of the northwestern wall, can be accessed from either entrance. This classroom, which is as large as four of its student cells, is shifted off axis towards the northwest, allowing space for a secondary, three-bay portico in front of the classroom. The street is located below the floor level of the madrasa, and this projection is supported by a vault as it passes over the street.

Articulation on the main portico highlights the presence of the classroom; in addition, the secondary portico contains a central domed bay flanked by two mirror-vaulted, rectangular bays. One enters through the double portico to view the classroom, which is topped by a dome on an octagonal drum. The classroom has two rows of windows on three sides; its northwestern elevation is left blind for privacy, as the classroom projects northwest, extending over a street.

In the madrasa, the student cells, all furnished with stoves, are roofed by domes with pendentives. They are accessed via the doors beneath the portico. Each madrasa cell has one window on the courtyard side and two on the elevation. Inside the portico of the madrasa, all of the nineteen bays are domed, with the exception of the vaulted bays in front of the classroom and the bay at the northeastern end of the portico. An octagonal fountain, whose roof has since vanished, stands in the madrasa courtyard before the entrance to the classroom.

They are accessed via the doors beneath the portico. Each madrasa cell has one window on the courtyard side and two on the elevation. Inside the portico of the madrasa, all of the nineteen bays are domed, with the exception of the vaulted bays in front of the classroom and the bay at the northeastern end of the portico. An octagonal fountain, whose roof has since vanished, stands in the madrasa courtyard before the entrance to the classroom.

The Atik Valide Sultan bath is a part of Atik Valide Complex, combined of Mosque, Tekke, Imaret Group, Darüşşifa, Hospice, Madrasa, Baths, Mental Hospital, Caravanserai, Hadith School, School For The Memorization Of Quran, Elementary School. The Valide-i Atik Külliye’s renovation by the General Directorate of Foundations continues and will be used for educational purposes when it is finished.

FATİH SULTAN MEHMET WAQF UNIVERSITY ÜSKÜDAR CAMPUS

Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf University (FSMWU) is a newly established i 2010 higher education institute whose goal is to be at the forefront of Turkish higher education and research. Its supporting waqf, Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf was however, established in 1470 and has been providing such facilities for over five centuries.

The name Fatih Sultan Mehmet comes from the conqueror of Istanbul. Fatih Sultan Mehmet (Mehmet II) was Sultan of the Ottoman Empire from 1444 to 1446 and from 1451 to 1481. At the age of 21, he conquered Constantinople in 1453 and opened a new era in history. He found many "Vakifs" ( foundations) to establish schools, hostels, other facilities and to offer social services. His own foundation along with four other historical foundations have been allocated by General Directorate of Foundations in 2009 to establish FSMV University.

FSMWU emerged from the historical waqf tradition which played an influential role in the scientific, civic, and cultural life throughout Ottoman history. Being priviledged to have its origins in the centuries old civic and academic heritage, FSMWU strives to carry on this tradition by combining traditional education with contemporary knowledge.

FSMWU is located on the historical peninsula of Istanbul’s European side. Therefore, FSMWU has a unique mission for the Turkish Higher Education system in the heart of Istanbul where daily life intertwines with culture, history, and art. Located in the cradle of civilization, FSMWU is the academic face of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, reflected in the diversity of languages that make up our curriculum. FSMWU hosts all members of the higher education community, from faculty members and researchers, to graduate and undergraduate students.

Faculties, Schools and Institute
FSMW University is made up of 10 principal academic units - 5 faculties, 4 institutes and 2 vocational schools.

Faculties
Faculty of Letters and Humanities, Turkish Language and Literature, History, Psychology, History of Science,
Faculty of Engineering, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Architecture and Design, Architecture, Interior-Architecture,
Faculty of Islamic Sciences, Islamic Sciences, Faculty of Fine Arts, Traditional Turkish Arts, Graphic Design
Faculty of Law

Real Estate Holdings
Rectorate Building, Fatih, Campus at Haliç, Campus at Kandilli, Campus at Topkapı, Campus at Küçük Çamlıca, Campus at Valide-i Atik Complex

This Campus hosts: Faculty of Letters and Humanities

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf University Üsküdar Campus

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : fsm@fsm.edu.tr
Phone : +90 212 521 8100
Fax : +90 216 310 29 27

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.