Monday, April 17, 2017

NURBANU VALİDEİ ATİK SULTAN COMPLEX

Üsküdar - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°01'06.4"N 29°01'22.9"E / 41.018444, 29.023028

Nurbanu Validei Atik Sultan Madrasa / Uskudar photo nurbanu_madrasa103.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

Located in Üsküdar, in a neighborhood named after itself, the complex consists of a group of buildings surrounding a mosque and a madrasah. It is quite unique with its historic sections like caravanserai, Hadith School, the school for the memorization of Quran, a kitchen, a guest house, an elementary school, a bath and a hospital. These buildings were built by Mimar Sinan between 1570 and 1579 and were founded by Nurbanu Valide Sultan who was the mother of Sultan Murad III.

Until the 18th century, the place was called “Valide Sultan Külliyesi” but after the construction of a new similar set of buildings in Üsküdar Square with the name of Gülnuş Sultan, it started to be known as Atik Valide, Valide-i Atik (The Old Valide).

The Atik Valide Sultan Complex is located on the hill above a large and densely populated district of Üsküdar, in Istanbul. The Atik Valide complex was commissioned by Sultan Selim II (1524-1574) in 1570 for his wife Nurbanu Sultan, and was fully completed by his son, Sultan Murad III (1546-1595) in 1579. Mimar Sinan completed the complex in 1583, and it was his last major work. Constructed on a site that descends towards the northwest, it consists of three building groups separated by streets and two small, free-standing structures.

Moving from northeast to southwest, the first and the smallest of the three building groups is the dervish hostel (tekke or dergah) on the northeast. The largest building group, located on the southwest, consists of a house for readers of the Koran (darül-kurra), a college of Islamic law (darül-hadis), a hospital with an insane asylum (darüssifa), and a soup kitchen for students (imaret). The imaret is subdivided into a kitchen, a hospice (tabhane) and a caravanserai.

Standing between the tekke and the imaret cluster is the mosque, together with a large fountain courtyard that surrounds it on three sides, and the madrasa, attached to the northwest side of the mosque courtyard. Of the two freestanding structures, the larger is the bathhouse, located on the west of the complex. The smaller is the Quranic school (sibyan mektebi), and it is located southeast of the mosque.

It is a madrasa which was built by Mimar Sinan between the years of 1570 and 1579. It is in Topbaşı neighborhood of Üsküdar district, Istanbul. The madrasa which was constructed just downward elevation of the courtyard of Atik Valide Sultan Mosque is not used now and it has been losing its architectural character day by day due to dilapidation. Unfortunately the construction whose courtyard can not be entered into can be seen from the outside

The madrasah of the complex consists of eighteen rooms and it remained in operation until 1918. While fifteen of the rooms were dedicated to be used by the students, two of them were used by teaching assistants and the latter was reserved for the custodian. The madrasah was renovated between 1960 and 1963. It was a shelter for the homeless for a period of time.

The madrasa, which is attached to the northwest of the mosque courtyard, has a trapezoidal plan that narrows from southwest to northeast. Composed of eighteen cells and a classroom, the madrasa is fronted by a nineteen-bay portico that encircles its courtyard on three sides. Its fenestrated southeastern wall forms the border of and contains an entrance into the mosque fountain courtyard.

The main entrance from the street is located at the south corner of the madrasa. The classroom of the madrasa, located in the middle of the northwestern wall, can be accessed from either entrance. This classroom, which is as large as four of its student cells, is shifted off axis towards the northwest, allowing space for a secondary, three-bay portico in front of the classroom. The street is located below the floor level of the madrasa, and this projection is supported by a vault as it passes over the street.

Articulation on the main portico highlights the presence of the classroom; in addition, the secondary portico contains a central domed bay flanked by two mirror-vaulted, rectangular bays. One enters through the double portico to view the classroom, which is topped by a dome on an octagonal drum. The classroom has two rows of windows on three sides; its northwestern elevation is left blind for privacy, as the classroom projects northwest, extending over a street.

In the madrasa, the student cells, all furnished with stoves, are roofed by domes with pendentives. They are accessed via the doors beneath the portico. Each madrasa cell has one window on the courtyard side and two on the elevation. Inside the portico of the madrasa, all of the nineteen bays are domed, with the exception of the vaulted bays in front of the classroom and the bay at the northeastern end of the portico. An octagonal fountain, whose roof has since vanished, stands in the madrasa courtyard before the entrance to the classroom.

They are accessed via the doors beneath the portico. Each madrasa cell has one window on the courtyard side and two on the elevation. Inside the portico of the madrasa, all of the nineteen bays are domed, with the exception of the vaulted bays in front of the classroom and the bay at the northeastern end of the portico. An octagonal fountain, whose roof has since vanished, stands in the madrasa courtyard before the entrance to the classroom.

The Atik Valide Sultan bath is a part of Atik Valide Complex, combined of Mosque, Tekke, Imaret Group, Darüşşifa, Hospice, Madrasa, Baths, Mental Hospital, Caravanserai, Hadith School, School For The Memorization Of Quran, Elementary School. The Valide-i Atik Külliye’s renovation by the General Directorate of Foundations continues and will be used for educational purposes when it is finished.

FATİH SULTAN MEHMET WAQF UNIVERSITY ÜSKÜDAR CAMPUS

Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf University (FSMWU) is a newly established i 2010 higher education institute whose goal is to be at the forefront of Turkish higher education and research. Its supporting waqf, Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf was however, established in 1470 and has been providing such facilities for over five centuries.

The name Fatih Sultan Mehmet comes from the conqueror of Istanbul. Fatih Sultan Mehmet (Mehmet II) was Sultan of the Ottoman Empire from 1444 to 1446 and from 1451 to 1481. At the age of 21, he conquered Constantinople in 1453 and opened a new era in history. He found many "Vakifs" ( foundations) to establish schools, hostels, other facilities and to offer social services. His own foundation along with four other historical foundations have been allocated by General Directorate of Foundations in 2009 to establish FSMV University.

FSMWU emerged from the historical waqf tradition which played an influential role in the scientific, civic, and cultural life throughout Ottoman history. Being priviledged to have its origins in the centuries old civic and academic heritage, FSMWU strives to carry on this tradition by combining traditional education with contemporary knowledge.

FSMWU is located on the historical peninsula of Istanbul’s European side. Therefore, FSMWU has a unique mission for the Turkish Higher Education system in the heart of Istanbul where daily life intertwines with culture, history, and art. Located in the cradle of civilization, FSMWU is the academic face of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, reflected in the diversity of languages that make up our curriculum. FSMWU hosts all members of the higher education community, from faculty members and researchers, to graduate and undergraduate students.

Faculties, Schools and Institute
FSMW University is made up of 10 principal academic units - 5 faculties, 4 institutes and 2 vocational schools.

Faculties
Faculty of Letters and Humanities, Turkish Language and Literature, History, Psychology, History of Science,
Faculty of Engineering, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Architecture and Design, Architecture, Interior-Architecture,
Faculty of Islamic Sciences, Islamic Sciences, Faculty of Fine Arts, Traditional Turkish Arts, Graphic Design
Faculty of Law

Real Estate Holdings
Rectorate Building, Fatih, Campus at Haliç, Campus at Kandilli, Campus at Topkapı, Campus at Küçük Çamlıca, Campus at Valide-i Atik Complex

This Campus hosts: Faculty of Letters and Humanities

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Fatih Sultan Mehmet Waqf University Üsküdar Campus

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : fsm@fsm.edu.tr
Phone : +90 212 521 8100
Fax : +90 216 310 29 27

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment