Thursday, May 3, 2018


Çırağan, Beşiktaş - Istanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°02'33.8"N 29°00'46.1"E / 41.042722, 29.012806


In 1834 Sultan Mahmut II decides to rebuild the entire Palace. He demolished the yalı (water side villa) together with the school and the mosque. The house of the Mevlevi dervishes had been moved to another "yalı" which was around. Following eight years of construction, the classical appearance of the new Palace adorned the shores with a foundation of stone -including forty grand columns- and extensive use of rare woods.

Sultan Abdülaziz's brother Sultan Abdülmecid has demolished the first Palace in 1857 which was constructed by Sultan Mahmut II. He had planned to build  a palace in "Western" style but unfortunately he died in 1861. The construction of the Palace had not been completed due to economical and political circumstances of the Empire. Despite being dethroned following his brother's death, Sultan Abdülaziz was allowed to continue his brother's dream of expanding the Palace, this time in a more “Eastern” architectural style.

As a tribute to himself, Sultan Abdülaziz ordered Agop Balyan to build a palace in Arabian style. The old wooden structure of the palace was destroyed and a new stone foundation was built in its place. The magnificent priceless doors of the Palace were each made by Vortik Kemhaciyan and worth 1000 gold coins. Sultan Abdülhamid II gave one of these doors as a gift to his friend the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II. Wilhelm put that door on display at the Berlin Museum.

The palace, built by Sultan Abdülâziz, was designed by the palace architect Nigoğayos Balyan and constructed by his sons Sarkis and Hagop Balyan between 1863 and 1867. This was a period in which all Ottoman sultans used to build their own palaces rather than using those of their ancestors. Çırağan Palace is the last example of this period. The inner walls and the roof were made of wood, the outer walls of colorful marble.

The palace is connected with a beautiful marble bridge to the Yıldız Palace on the hill behind. A very high garden wall protects the palace from the outer world. During the time of Sultan Abdülaziz, the Empress Eugenie of France, who was said to be in love with the Sultan visited the most famous bath of the new Çırağan Palace during her stay in Istanbul on her way to open the Suez Canal in 1869.

Material including rare marble and mother of pearl were imported from different parts of the world for the construction of the palace. The waterfront construction alone cost 400,000 Ottoman Liras. The construction of the Çırağan Palace, which began in 1863, was completed in 1871 and 2.5 million gold coins were spent. Due to rumors among the public that the destruction of the house of the Mevlevi dervishes and the incorporation of its land into the Palace's estate would bring bad luck, Sultan Abdülaziz stayed for the last time at the Çırağan Palace in March of 1876 making Dolmabahçe Palace his new residence.

Sultan Murat V was the nephew of Sultan Abdülaziz and became “Sultan” on May the 30th, 1876. Unfortunately, Sultan Murat V was soon deposed by his brother Sultan Abdülhamit II but he continued to live in Harem building of the Palace until his death. He was an art lover, especially music.

The construction and the interior decoration of the palace continued until 1872. After he moved in, Sultan Abdülâziz was, however, not able to live long in his magnificent palace. He was found dead in the palace on May 30, 1876, shortly after he was dethroned. His successor, his nephew Sultan Murad V, moved into Çırağan Palace, but reigned after only 93 days. He, who was deposed by his brother Sultan Abdülhamid II due to alleged mental illness, lived here under house arrest until his death on August 29, 1904.

On November 14th 1909, with a slightly revised name change the Çırağan Palace was selected as the site for a significant meeting of the Turkish Parliament. Dramatically, however, shortly after the conclusion of the Parliament meeting in January 1910, a fire which is known to have started in the attic, destroyed the entire inside of the Palace including significant antiques and art pieces of Sultan Abdülhamid and books from the renowned library of Sultan Murat V.

During the Second Constitutional Monarchy, Sultan Mehmet V Reşat allowed the parliament to hold their meetings in this building. The Ottoman parliament was opened with great ceremony in the Palace after the announcement of the Constitutional Monarchy II in the era of Sultan Abdülhamit II. The building of the Palace into a hotel was talked about in 1930s but it stayed unkempt for a long time after the big fire in 1910.


The ground floor of the main palace, and the apartments of the separate Çırağan Palace Harem and guard blocks, was used for many years as Beşiktaş Girls High School.

The school was first established as high school only for female students "Beşiktaş Kız Lisesi" in Beşiktaş, Istanbul in 1959. After the 1993-1994 term, it was turned into a mixed high school and renamed "Beşiktaş High School". In the beginning of the 2005-2006 term it has become an Anatolian High School and took the name "Beşiktaş Anatolian High School", it operates as a four-year anatolian high school.

Beşiktaş Anadolu Lisesi is a four-year Anatolian High School located on the European side of Istanbul and one of the best schools in Turkey. The primary languages of instruction are Turkish and English. The secondary foreign languages are German and French. Beşiktaş Anatolia High School accepts students under the percentage of %1.5 which contains only the most hard working students. With it's breathtaking views of the bosphorus and prestigious students Beşiktaş Anadolu lisesi is an extrodinary place.


WEB SITE : Beşiktaş Anatolian High School

Phone : +90 212 261 5330
Fax : +90 212 236 6617

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2018, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment