Friday, May 12, 2017

CAĞALOĞLU HAMAM since 1741

Cağaloğlu, Fatih - İstanbul - Turkey

GPS : 41°00'38.6"N 28°58'32.1"E / 41.010722, 28.975583

Cagaloglu Hamam / Fatih photo cagaloglu_hamam101.jpg

PHOTOGRAPHS ALBUM

The Cağaloğlu Hamam, constructed in 1740-1741, is the last one of the biggest hamam to be built during the Ottoman Empire. It was constructed in Istanbul Fatih, in Alemdar, on Hilal-i Ahmer street as a çifte (double) public hamam to bring revenue for the library of Sultan Mahmud I the first situated inside the mosque of Ayasofya.

When we take a look at the names of the head architects of that time we can say that it was begun by Süleyman Ağa finished by Abdullah Ağa. It is the last example of its kind to be built in Istanbul and is a successful hamam that is still operational in our time. All the architectural beauty of the structure has been kept until today. The hammam still serves as a double bath.

The palace of Nevşehirli Groom Ibrahim Pasha was burnt in 1740 so Cağaloğlu Bath was begun to be constructed in the place of the palace. The entrance of women is placed on the bath street and men’s entrance is on the main street. Also the bath has a feature of being one of the last and biggest baths, because Sultan Mustafa III banned to construct baths due to increase in the need of water.

It is entered through the marble door to the building. The door of the women’s section is on a side street called Hamam while the men's entrance is from the main road with two marble columns with classic stalactite capitals on both sides.

In time when the street was elevated, the men's section is reached by a staircase of 10 steps. The architecture of the door is contrary to eclectic Turkish style. There is an original inscription with a verse of Koran, above the entrance door. On the tablet above the door is a long inscription of 7 lines and 28 verves.

The changing rooms of the men's section are quite spacious and bright. Baroque styled fountain pool in the same section is very striking. There are eight marble columns with graven tops, four cubicle spaces and octagonal middle stone in the square planned hot room (sıcaklık). The hot cubical space is used as sauna at the present. Cold and hot sections were made different way, away from the classical Ottoman architecture, the baroque- style was used in these sections.

In men’s part, dressing section is covered with a large dome but cold section is covered with a small dome. Hot section is covered again a large dome, in the middle of the hot section there is a central stone (göbektaşı) and around it there are many basins (kurna) and halvet. In the middle of the building of bath, a spacious pool which was made of one piece of marble and fountain in the pool which has three floors are placed, these are so beautiful.

The domes are supported by arches and columns. There are eight arches on eight marble columns supporting the dome in the sıcaklık. In the center is the marble göbektaşı, surrounded by halvets in the four corners and three sofas in between. The sofas are covered with semi domes. There is a square garden between the undressing room of the womens' section and the camegah of the mens' section.

The beginning of the camegah and the soğukluk is different from classis plans. The sogukluk is also separated by two columns into three sections. In the middle is a dome. The sıcaklık is the same as in the mens' section. The high and wide camegah is joined to the large dome by segmented corner trumpet-like vault panels. In the middle is a pool with a waterjet of great artistic value.

The windows are placed between the vault panels in threes. On the top of the dome is a lantern for illumination. There is a şirvan in the camegah with rooms for undressing. The soğukluk is entered through a double door from the camegah and is covered with seven barrel vaults and a half sphere small dome.

Cağaloğlu Bath was built three hundred years ago and it has been still standing today also serving to a large number of local and foreign tourists as a double bath. Men’s part is open from 8 to 10, while women’s part is open from 8 to 8. There is a restaurant-bar at the entrance of the men's section. Reservation required for dinner.

According to your wishes, you can use your own materials or materials found here. In addition, you can both see a historical structure and spend time in the beautiful bath.

These double baths in which only the changing-rooms have been changed since 1969-1971 now consist of two parts, one of women and the other for men in a 2834 sq.m area.

LOCATION SATELLITE MAP



WEB SITE : Cağaloğlu Hamamı

MORE INFO & CONTACT
E-Mail : info@cagalogluhamami.com.tr
Phone : +90 212 522 2423 / +90 212 522 2424
Fax: +90 212 512 8553

These scripts and photographs are registered under © Copyright 2017, respected writers and photographers from the internet. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment